Thursday, September 21, 2006


CATS IN CEMETERIES

Yesterday we decided to venture into the Recoleta barrio to visit the Cementerio de la Recoleta (this is where Eva Peron is laid to rest). One thing I noticed when I first arrived, is that the streets of Buenos Aires are overrun with stray dogs and yet not one cat is to be found. I learned this is because all the stray cats of South America live in the cemetery.

The narrow corridors and high walls are absolutely breathtaking. Some of the mausoleums were nicely kept up, others were in complete disarray. After the economic crisis a few years ago, families who once had the money to maintain their family plots now find themselves unable to handle the upkeep.

Cementerio de la Recoleta is beautiful but it warrants another trip to take in everything it offers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your mission in Argentina should be to give all the homeless animals a nice place to live... I wonder if Sully would be okay with that??? I miss you ERN, call me soon... Ms. Ford let me go home.

Anonymous said...

Dudette, this is really an awesome pic. Brush out the date stamp and you can start selling as a post card.

Trent.

Anonymous said...

Great photo! Your journey sounds spectacular. I'm so proud of you, and while your wish list concerns me - I totally get ya. Spent last week in Chicago and thought of you. We could have done some damage together. Dewey (baby swine) says hello from the farm. Photos are on the way. Love u.